and end on
Please note, all substitute teachers are hired as per diem subs, even when placed in long term assignments. All substitutes begin at the per diem rate of pay. For further information about becoming a BPS sub please refer to our website (http://bostonpublicschools.org/Page/1095).
PE Teacher (Long Term Substitute)
Grade Level: All levels (PreK- 8)
December 2016 – May 2017
About UP Education Network
UP Education Network operates six schools in Boston, Lawrence, and Springfield, MA. We serve over 3,000 elementary and middle school students. UP is invited by local school districts to restart chronically underperforming district schools as UP Academies. Each UP Academy shares the same mission: to ensure that students acquire the knowledge, skills, and strength of character necessary to succeed on the path to college and to achieve their full potential.
Teaching at UP Education Network
UP Academy teachers work with a team of diverse colleagues to develop rigorous curricula, deliver engaging lessons, and support all students on the path to and through college.
Desired Skills and Characteristics of an UP Teacher
- A deep desire to work with educationally underserved student populations and their families
- An unwavering commitment to the academic success and personal development of our students
- An eagerness to set ambitious, challenging, and tangible goals, and a relentless drive to achieve them
- A capacity to remain calm and focused when faced with unexpected challenges
- A strong belief in UP Education Network’s core values: Students, Community, Humility, Resilience, and Humor
- Bachelor’s degree is required, Master’s degree is preferred
- A valid Massachusetts Teaching License in Physical Education, grades K1 – 8
- Current authorization to work in the United States – A candidate must have such authorization by his or her first day of employment
Compensation and Benefits
UP Academy follows the salary scales and salary placement policies of each UP Academy’s host school district or state turnaround plan; please see the relevant union’s collective bargaining agreement for additional details. As an employee of UP Academy and your respective school district, you will receive the same access to personal and sick days, health insurance, and dental insurance as others within your union.
Working at UP Education Network
We know that great staff members directly lead to the success of our students. At UP, your career is shaped by:
- Opportunities for immediate impact
: UP offers a chance to bring best practices found in high-performing schools to students previously enrolled in struggling schools, and to rapidly unlock the potential of these students
- Talented, mission-driven colleagues
: Our staff is enthusiastic, dedicated, and willing to do “whatever it takes” to put every student on the path to college
- Collaboration and teamwork
: Staff members collaborate and work closely together on grade-level or content area teams, using data to track student performance as well as guide instructional practice
- Consistent professional growth and development
: Members of our staff typically have bi-weekly check-in meetings with their managers where they receive targeted coaching and support. The entire staff participates in weekly professional development sessions during the school year, kick-started by extensive training in August.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit
and formally apply for this position through our online application system.
As an equal opportunity employer, UP does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, ability, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin and we encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply. Our students must be exposed to a diverse group of powerful role models – in their teachers, their school leaders, and their supporters in the network office. With this in mind, we are committed to recruiting the most talented individuals from the widest possible range of backgrounds to join our creative, mission-driven team.