patient room, full service acute care hospital. Las Palmas Medical Center
offers comprehensive healthcare and provides leading-edge technologies. Our
Lifecare Center offers inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation programs, as
well as our fully equipped fitness and wellness center in one convenient
location. We also house the region’s only Kidney Transplant Center.
We are located on the Westside of El Paso, Texas close to
the University of Texas El Paso campus. We provide exceptional patient care
services to the El Paso and Fort Bliss communities, as well as Southern New
Mexico and West Texas Regions.
: Works directly under the supervision of the SPD Manager for his/her primary function: cleans, sterilizes, and assembles surgical instruments, floor trays, and equipment.
: The surgical technologist works under the direct supervision of the circulating nurse assigned to the case. His/her duties include preparing for the surgical procedures by collecting needed supplies, instrumentation and equipment to perform surgery. He/she prepares for the surgical procedure by setting up the room and opening the cases, and disposing of used instruments and supplies after the procedure is completed. Responsibilities include handling the sterile instruments and equipment needed to facilitate the surgery. The tech’s responsibility also include proper care of handling of instruments postoperatively for transport to Sterile Processing and restock of supplies to proper storage
Core competencies will be assessed primarily on the following patient population(s) served: Pre and intra-operative interventions, including but not limited to Cardiovascular/Thoracic, Neuro, GI, GU, GYN, Orthopedics, Skeletal/muscular conditions and diseases etc.
PRIMARY ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
1. Performs cleaning and sterilization process for all instrumentation and equipment per policy.
2. Ensures tray integrity and completeness
3. Wraps, seals and labels items to be sterilized per policy.
4. Sterilizes instruments, equipment, surgical linen and related supplies using STERRAD (H202) and steam sterilizers according to manufacturer’s instructions.
5. Prepares surgical packs, instruments, dressing, and treatment trays according to established procedures
6. Maintains proper record keeping of sterilization process.
7. Performs QA monitoring of packages sterilized to ensure proper procedures are maintained.
8. Performs biological testing and maintenance of all equipment.
9. Stores sterilized and prepared instrumentation and equipment in designated areas or returns to user department.
10. Manages repairs of instruments, coordinates with third party repair vendors.
11. Works in both soiled and clean utility rooms using proper PPE.
12. Informs Bio-Med of equipment no longer serviceable or other problems that may arise.
13. Maintains and stocks supplies and instruments per PARS levels.
14. Controls, orders and stocks the linen cart.
15. Cleans case carts
16. Demonstrates Customer Service and professional behavior.
17. Assists SPD Manager with clerical functions.
18. QI Reporting
19. Actively participates in continuing education programs inside and outside the hospital and
department to maintain competency.
20. Performs other duties as assigned.
SECONDARY ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Works directly under the supervision of the circulator nurse assigned to the case to ensure all supplies, equipment, and instrumentation needed to perform assigned procedures, as per physician’s preference card, are gathered prior to the start of the case.
Assist Circulator nurse in the preparation of surgical procedures in a timely manner to allow for counts
and equipment checks prior to the patient entering the OR.
Maintains knowledge of surgical specialties and ability to scrub for Plastics, General, ENT, GYN,
Orthopedic, Pediatric, Neurosurgery, Vascular, Cardiovascular, Urology and Ophthalmology procedures.
Knowledge of aseptic techniques and demonstration of that knowledge in the operating room.
Knowledge of sterilization methods and demonstration of that knowledge in the operation room.
Demonstrates effective communication skills when interacting with physicians, patients, and all other
members of the healthcare team.
Assist with review and correction of the preference card hard copy to ensure physicians preference cards
are current and legible.
Assist the circulator nurse with marking, on the preference card, supplies utilized/opened during the
procedure for proper billing of the case.
Consistently displays positive behavior and communication and interaction with all members of the health
Other duties as assigned within scope of practice.
1. HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR EQUIVALENT
2. PRIOR SPD/OR EXPERIENCE
PREFERRED EDUCATION, LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
1. Graduate of surgical technologist/Sterile Processing Program or verifiable on the job experience as a surgical/sterile technologist.
2. Basic knowledge of surgical specialties.
3. SPD Tech Certification