Tweaks that let users customize the iOS lock screen are abundant in the Cydia store, but Spin is the kind of release that just refuses to get lost in the crowd. With Spin, you get a complete revamp of the lock screen music view. Instead of a square containing the album art of the current song, Spin displays a radial frame in the middle of the lock screen. The current status of the track is depicted by a knob around the border of the album art. Spin doesn’t stop at just changing the album art; it also affects the playback controls and the overall layout of the lock screen, including the status bar clock and the wallpaper.
Spin is a very customizable tweak, with a comprehensive menu of its own in the stock Settings app. The toggles available in the Spin menu can be used for the following purposes.
- Enable: Revert to the ordinary lock screen whenever you want.
- Background Artwork: When you are playing a song, Spin can replace the wallpaper with a blurred version of the album art, if this toggle is turned on.
- Lighter Blur: Lets you control the blurring level of the artwork.
- Dark background: If you are not a big fan of blurring, toggle this option on to get a more pronounced view of the album art within the Spin radial display.
- Larger controls: The forward, rewind and pause / play buttons can be resized for easier access.
- 24 Hour Clock: Spin offers a clock of its own, at the top of the screen. You can choose between 12 hour and 24 hour formats for this clock’s display.
- Optimal Scrubber: The scrubber didn’t work for us on the lock screen, although it does move in real-time around the the Spin dial. Within the stock Music app though, you can use the scrubber to jump to your favorite part of any song.
- Dark Cover: Want to increase the legibility of the album art and other song information? Turn this option on to surround the Spin dial with a dark circle.
- Slide to unlock text
- Status Bar Clock: This option is important because the layout offered by Spin makes the Notification Center grabber overlap with the status bar clock to some extent. If this bothers you, and you think the default Spin clock is enough, simply turn the option off.
All changes made in Spin are only applied after you respring the device. The option to respring is available in the Spin menu in the top-right corner.
Spin is a cosmetic tweak, but if the scrubber was a little more interactive, things could have been even better. To give your lock screen a fresh look though, an investment of 99 cents is totally worthwhile. The tweak is available in the BigBoss repo of the Cydia store and works perfectly with all devices running iOS 7 and above.