ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Answers incoming telephone calls, routes calls as appropriate, and takes messages.
Verifies patient demographic information upon check-in, updating and making changes as appropriate on the computer, patient medical record, and/or charge sheet.
Activates telephone lines in the morning and transfers to the answering service at the end of daytime operations.
Verifies/updates insurance information.
- Copies insurance card
- Verifies insurance referral when necessary.
- Obtains patient signature on authorization form; i.e., insurance, waiver, non-referral, release information.
- Verifies insurance eligibility as necessary.
- Attaches charge sheet to medical record.
- Verifies that all necessary reports are included in patient’s medical record.
- Schedules and/or cancels patient appointments on computer and/or in appointment book.
- Prepares medical records (and labels) for current or future appointments.
- Pulls and files medical record and reports as needed.
- Assist in maintaining neatness of office, waiting room, and patient areas.
- May physically, by direction, assist patients to other patient areas.
- Run patient schedule list for next day.
- May set up new patient charts.
- May work monthly outstanding invoice report.
- May reconcile missing ticket report.
- Locks or changes out cash drawers and takes money to the vault/safe.
- Will secure office at end of business day.
- Reconciles monthly THML charge report.
- Reports malfunction of any equipment to manager.
- Helps train fellow employees.
- Attends meetings as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Open batch on the computer.
- Processes all transactions (via credit card, check & cash) utilizing CPT and ICD codes.
- Reconciles daily cash with charges.
- Opens and processes patient mail payment.
- Assists patients with account inquires and sets up payment arrangements or refers to the credit office.
- May request office supplies.
- Reports malfunction of equipment to manager.
- Assists in the training of new employees.
- May schedule follow-up appointments.
- May cross-train into other related areas.
CUSTOMER SERVICE STANDARDS
All employees are expected to complete their responsibilities in accordance with the Union Health System Values:
Patient Focused – Place patients first – every time
Listen and understand with compassion.
Communicate effectively with patients, families and all levels of the healthcare system.
Consistently treat patients and families with respect and kindness.
Anticipate, understand, and promptly act on patient needs and expectations.
Apply lessons from experiences to improve patient care and safety.
Collaboration – Work together for optimal results
Find solutions-resolve conflicts.
Encourage ideas, respect opinions, and appreciate the contribution of others.
Strive to meet the diverse needs of all involved.
Be confident without arrogance.
Integrity – Always be honest and ethical
Demonstrate honesty, truth and mutual respect.
Display a positive attitude and encourage others.
Take responsibility for actions and behaviors; be accountable.
Transparency – Openly share the “why” in what we do
Maintain confidentiality while accurately and willingly sharing information.
Interact with respect and an open mind.
Provide secure access to appropriate information.
Evaluate and communicate our performance to drive improvement.
Be open an d honest about success and failures.
Stewardship – Be responsible with lives and
Behave as if you owned the organization by being fiscally responsible.
Commit to continuous improvement, education, and innovation.
Contribute to a safe, positive and productive environment.
Work together to grow a stronger and healthier Wabash Valley.
TRAINING, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES NEEDED:
Functional grasp of standard written and verbal English, good spelling and grammar.
Ability to handle large sums of money.
Ability to balance money.
Accomplished at basic business math.
Proficient typing skills.
Ability to read and interpret computer reports.
Ability to interpret charges, payments, and adjustments.
Requires special attention to detail.
Should be familiar with ICD coding and demonstrate knowledge of accounting system.
At least one year of cashier/credit experience in a similar setting.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
The employee frequently is required to sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls.
The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms.
Employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Ability to perform multiple duties and ability to work well under stress.
OSHA III Classification.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT:
General office equipment; i.e., telephone, photocopier, calculator, etc.