We all remember that there was a time when many people didn’t opt for Android because of limited gaming options. However the scenario took a surprisingly good U-turn when gaming giants like Gameloft etc. decided to launch games for Android platform. Gameloft has a pretty impressive collection of games available in Android Market. They multiplayer option is great as you can challenge your rivals in real time for a faceoff in games in Modern Combat 2 etc. But there is one downside that you can’t go into multiplayer mode unless Wi-Fi connectivity is available.
XDA member, Zycu, was able to determine a workaround that let’s you multiplay Gameloft games over standard 3G. Yes, you read it right! Now you don’t need Wi-Fi to enter multiplayer mode. However the workaround requires you have to root on your device.
Here is the step by step guide to plat Gameloft games over 3G connection:
- The first step is to turn your Wi-Fi on and download Android Wi-Fi tether app available in Market.
- Once you have the app downloaded, launch the app and go to Menu > Settings > Change > Setup Method and select Softap option.
- Now start tethering and drag down the notification bar.
- In case your Wi-Fi icon is still enabled, it means that you have done it right so far.
- Do not press the Wi-Fi toggle icon and launch the game you want to Multiplay.
And there you go! You are now all set to play multiplayer on any Gameloft game that requires you to be connected over a Wi-Fi connection. The Wi-Fi tethering app, we downloaded and installed first, basically makes Gameloft think that your phone is connected over Wi-Fi.
In case you are facing any issue or need some support, then head to the official XDA workaround thread posted here.