Safeway Inc., a Fortune 100 Company, is one of the largest food and drug retailers in North America with 1,300+ stores. The Safeway family of stores and brands (collectively “Safeway”) includes some of the most prominent brands in food retailing, with a growing base of loyal shoppers. Thanks to the professionalism, diversity, spirit, and friendliness of our people, we have locations across the U.S.
A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A MEAT CLERK
As a Meat Clerk no one day is ever the same. This position allows you the opportunity to fill our meat cases with wrapped, priced, and delicious high quality meats. Our Meat Clerk is someone who engages in conversation with our valued customers by helping them understand and select our high quality meats and displays excellent customer service skills throughout the department. Come join our team today and earn the loyalty of the customers we serve.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS**
• Provide high-quality customer service in accordance with Safeway’s customer service standards and policies and procedures.
• Remove fresh, frozen, smoked and prepackaged meats from storage coolers and freezers and display in meat department display cases.
• Replenish full service meat case as needed.
• Use carts, wheeled racks, dollies and pallet jacks to move bulky stock.
• Tray up processed cuts and/or ground meat to be wrapped, weighed, and priced by hand or using automatic machine.
• Periodically checks displays and storage areas for product with expired dates and removes from area.
• Scan expired product for distress then discard.
• Perform daily temp and tare checks in accordance with division guidelines.
• May order product and supplies.
• Complete cleaning of the service cases nightly.
• Maintain area and conduct business in accordance with all federal, state and local food/safety regulations and guidelines and Company policy.
• Make signs for displays as needed.
• Answer questions regarding availability, applicability and price of meat department items and promote sales within department.
• Adhere to uniform and grooming policy as defined within company policy.
The following describes the general qualifications and physical, sensory and mental abilities normally associated with performing the essential job functions of this position: **
• Ability to identify retail meat cuts
• Ability to operate automatic and/or hand wrapping machine to prepare goods for sale
• Ability to weigh and scale products with accuracy
• Demonstrated prior customer service skills or related experience
• Excellent customer service skills
• Ability to understand and follow instructions, and ability to read, retain and comprehend guidelines, policies and procedures applicable to the position
• Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to work independently as well as within a large team
• Self-motivated and driven to increase knowledge of Safeway products and share that knowledge with Safeway customers
• Ability to provide regular and predictable attendance. (Safeway employees may be scheduled to work early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays, and schedules may vary on a weekly basis)
• Ability to comply with workplace conduct standards
The following attempts to communicate the traditional physical demands associated with this position: **
Seldom: 1-2 hours, Occasional: 3-4 hours, Frequent: 5-6 hours, Continuous: 7+ hours (Based on an 8 hour work day.)
• Squat/Kneel: Seldom
• Bend/Stoop: Frequent
• Lift/Carry: Continuous 1-35 lbs.*weight may increase
• Push/Pull: Continuous 1-10 lbs.*weight may increase
• Twist/Turn: Occasional
• Grip/Grasp: Continuous
• Reach: Occasional
• Stand/Walk: Continuous
Job duties and responsibilities may vary by location and employees may be assigned duties and responsibilities in addition to
those listed above.
** Safeway is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to compliance with its obligations under all applicable state and federal laws prohibiting employment discrimination. In keeping with this commitment, Safeway attempts to reasonably accommodate applicants and employees in accordance with the requirements of the disability discrimination laws. It also invites individuals with disabilities to participate in a good faith, interactive process to identify reasonable accommodations that can be made without imposing an undue hardship.
SAFEWAY AND WHY YOU WANT TO JOIN US
Safeway has always been a people-oriented business, and thoughtful people practices remain a core element of our company’s philosophy. As friendly, enthusiastic individuals who enjoy offering customers an exceptional shopping experience, we provide world-class customer service each and every day.
Safeway provides a variety of benefits including:
• Great pay
• Flexible schedule
• Opportunities for career development
• Health and welfare benefits for eligible employees
• Leisure time activity discounts
SAFEWAY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER