Motorola XOOM has finally begun updating to Android 3.1 Honeycomb, but as always, no Android users want to wait for an OTA update that would take some time. Earlier we covered a guide on how to manually update the XOOM to Android 3.0.1. This time around, you now have the option to update your XOOM to Android 3.1 in no time. Read on for more on what changes the update brings and how to install it.
Before we get on with the update, it is important to note that this update is meant for the 3G version of the XOOM only and not the Wi-Fi version.
The update to Android 3.1 brings about quite a few new features and changes. Widgets can now be customized in terms of horizontal and vertical stretching. The existing widgets can also be updated to newer ones. With Android 3.1 you can now rent out movies from the Android Market through the Google movie rental service. You also get access to new video editing apps like Movie Studio, Movies, Books etc. The most awesome feature in this entire update is the USB Host function which lets the XOOM be paired with gaming controllers, mice, keyboard, etc.
Now let’s move on with the update!
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- To begin, rename the update file downloaded from the link above to, ‘update.zip’.
- Naviagate to android-sdk-windows > tools and place the update.zip file here.
- Run ADB in the background, and then run Windows command prompt.
- In the Windows command prompt, navigate to C:android-sdk-windowstools, supposing that ADB is in your C drive. Change the drive letter accordingly.
- Type in the following commands step by step in the command prompt:
adb push update.zip /sdcard/update.zip adb shell su cd /cache mkdir recovery
A message may appear saying that it already exists when you enter in the last command. Ignore it.
cd recovery echo ‘-–update_package=CACHE:/recovery/update.zip’ > command cat /sdcard/update.zip > update.zip reboot recovery
Voila! All done. Your XOOM should now boot into recovery and update to Android 3.1.