The Distribution Center Manager has responsibility for the coordination of all distribution functions and final product testing.
Nature and Scope
Reporting to the Plant Manager, the Distribution Center Manager is responsible for coordinating all shipping, receiving, late point packaging, customer service functions, traffic, inventory control, storage and handling of both raw materials and finished goods. This position is responsible for managing the department/facility budget. The Distribution Center Manager has supervisory responsibility for distribution personnel.
Specific Job Duties
Lead the DC Teams to support company objectives in cost, quality, service and safety.
Cost – manage the DC budget and drive productivity by reducing the volume-adjusted cost to operate year over year.
Quality – maintain accurate inventory through cycle counting. Eliminate shipping & receiving errors.
Service – ship all finished goods material within business team specific shipping window targets.
Safety – achieve and sustain an accident free culture.
Provide responsive customer service to all customers, both internal and external. Interact frequently with corporate sales team.
Establish and maintain an effective system of operation and implementation of written procedures in the form of Standard Operating Procedures, ISO 9001 and Technical Operating Instructions.
Establish, implement, and maintain effective training, safety, and housekeeping programs.
Manage the traffic functions within corporate guidelines including the use of approved carriers, the Transportation Management System and routing guide.
Support transportation cost reduction initiatives.
Achieve and sustain a LeanSigma culture, techniques and principles to flourish within the DC.
Work with the Plant Manager to establish goals and objectives for the department.
Responsible for the control and repair of all returnable reels.
1. A results driven individual who has demonstrated ability leading a high performance distribution environment, preferably within a manufacturing campus.
2. Proven experience in the area of distribution, transportation or materials management.
3. Proven record of success using leadership skills to: motivate, communicate, drive continuous improvement, and manage change.
4. Must have excellent attention to detail, but be able to manage the big picture and have a continuous improvement mentality.
5. Must be able to manage multiple, complex tasks and deal easily with pressure on a day in and day out basis.
6. Critical thinker, with excellent analytical abilities.
7. Good written and oral communication skills.
8. Demonstrated effectiveness in use of negotiation skills and personal influence when working with cross-functional teams, i.e, Distribution, Transportation, IT, Inside Sales, Finance, etc.
9. High energy, demonstrates urgency and fast pace.
10. Resiliency in the face of unforeseen obstacles and the ability to get back on track
1. Minimum of 5 years distribution or transportation management experience.
2. Experience managing distribution within a unionized manufacturing environment.
3. Strong leadership skills required
4. Experience working with and within a Lean Enterprise and/or Six Sigma, certification preferred
5. Experience managing budget in excess of $1mm
BS degree in Business Administration or Logistics