If you own the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and follow up on the latest updates for the device as they happen, you would know that Samsung is preparing an update for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 that is the new TouchWiz UX custom interface. While most wait for the update, looks like the Italians are getting their 10.1 Tabs with the TouchWiz UX pre-installed! This is where XDA-Developers forum member LevitateJay came to the rescue and extracted the Italian version of the TouchWiz UX as it is and released it for download.
Not just that, he also packed it up in two varying packages, one in a zip format to be installed via ClockworkMod recovery, and one in a .tar format for flashing via ODIN. There are a few bugs however, as the ROM extracted is actually from a 3G version of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and we’re porting it to the Wi-Fi version.
- Email app doesn’t let you sync (Gmail still works fine).
- Samsung Apps app will not start due to no SIM card.
- And maybe a few more.
You can catch a few screenshots of the ROM below, courtesy of LevitateJay.
Here’s how to get this ROM up and running your Galaxy Tab 10.1 Wi-Fi.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
For Flashing via ODIN:
For flashing via ClockworkMod recovery:
The instructions will be split into two parts, via ODIN and via ClockworkMod recovery.
- To begin, download the .tar version of the ROM from the link above and extract the file to find the TAR file.
- Run ODIN and click on PDA, choosing the .tar file extracted. Make sure Auto-Reboot option and Re-Partition is unchecked.
- Put the tablet into download mode and plug it into the PC.
- Once you see the device connected, hit the Start button in ODIN, thus beginning the flashing process.
- Once the process completes, power off the device and reboot into recovery mode.
- In the recovery, do a Factory Reset/Wipe (if you don’t have Clockwork recovery this will do a SD card wipe as well).
- Then simply reboot your device!
Via ClockWorkMod Recovery
- To begin, download the ROM (zip) from the link above and copy it to the root of your SD card.
- Reboot the device into recovery mode and make a Nandroid backup.
- That done, select Factory Reset/Wipe, wipe cache and then wipe dalvick cache.
- Navigate to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select the ROM copied to your SD card.
- Once the installation completes, simply reboot your device.
That’s it, your device should now boot into the new TouchWiz UX based ROM! For updates and queries, visit the forum thread at XDA-Developers.