The T-Mobile Sidekick 4G, since being rooted and receiving the ClockworkMod recovery, hasn’t seen many custom ROMs headed its way. There are a few ROMs out there but as said, not many. While we earlier covered the Smooth Maximus ROM for the device, a ROM named Revolution HD has surfaced on the XDA-Forums courtesy of forum member Revolution. The ROM is based on the Froyo 2.2 firmware but the developer has changed it to 2.3.4 in the script. According to him, it is the first ROM for the Sidekick 4G that is being updated daily.
The ROM sports plenty of features and also uses the TouchWiz 4 UI. You can see a complete list of features of the ROM below:
- HeLauncher + TW4Launcher w/Theme’s + Wallpaper’s on /SDCARD.
- Rooted ROM (SU).
- Newest BusyBox.
- RAM optimizations by Juwee.
- Speed optimizations.
- SD Card speed tweak.
- Newest Marketplace.
- Extended Power Menu (SduVick).
- Battery calibration.
- Bloatware removed.
- All system applications updated to latest available (even Google Maps).
- Zipaligned by AyoTeddy.
- Fully deodexed by AyoTeddy.
- TW Wallpaper by Krylon360.
- HoneyComb Lockscreen.
- init.d scripts.
- EXT4 performance.
- Bali 2.2.
- Fixed Volume Phone Wakeup.
- SGSII BootAnimation.
- Custom battery + notification bar.
You can also catch up on a few screenshots below courtesy of the developer.
There are quite a few addons available as well:
- Accuweather : Here
- Bali 2.2 by DrHonk : Here
- Touchwiz 4.5 Theme’s by DLB : Here
- Extended PowerMenu : Here
We’ll show you hot to install those if you wish, but before that, let’s proceed with installing the ROM on the Sidekick 4G.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- To begin, download the ROM from the link above and copy it to the root of your SD card.
- Reboot the device into recovery mode and make a Nandroid backup.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and wipe dalvick cache.
- Navigate to Install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select the ROM copied to the SD card.
- Let the the ROM install, and once it does, simply reboot the device.
That’s it! Your phone should now boot into the new ROM. If you wish to install the addons, simply download the addon, copy it to your SD card and flash it via ClockworkMod recovery by following Step 4. For updates and queries related to this ROM visit the forum thread at XDA-Developers.