This is big news for mobile OS enthusiasts – you can now run MeeGo OS on your Google Nexus S, thanks to developer and XDA-Developers forum member stroughtonsmith. It is a significant achievement and will lay the foundations for porting MeeGo to Android devices. Read on for details and installation instructions.
This build is intended for developers only and casual users will most likely not be able to even get it working in the first place. At present, it is an entirely barebones version and all that works are the X11 and MeeGo UI apps and ADB root shell. All other features including touch screen, Wi-Fi, screen brightness control and pretty much everything else are not functional at the moment.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
Here is how to get MeeGo up and running on your Google Nexus S:
- The first step is to build an ext2 image of the MeeGo rootfs (root file system), for which you can find instructions and resources at the MeeGo Wiki here. The image should be named rootfs.ext2
Note: These instructions are for the BeagleBoard but will work for the Hummingbird processor of Nexus S as well.
- A kickstart file provided is by the developer that you can grab from the link given below. It has adb support and you must include it to get adb to work for interacting with the device. Extract the file from the zip first.
- Copy the rootfs.ext2 file to linux/ on your Nexus S’ internal memory.
- Grab the boot image provided by the developer from the link given below, extract it from the zip file and use fastboot to boot your Nexus S with this boot image.
- In case you want to dual boot Android and MeeGo, flash the boot image to recovery instead.
- If you want to run X11 apps, you must modify the stock kernel’s .config file to enable CONFIG_VT. For that, you must use git://android.git.kernel.org/kernel/samsung.git with:
- The brightness is quite low and to make it full, do:
echo 255 > /sys/devices/platform/s3cfb/spi_gpio.3/spi3.0/backlight/s5p_bl/brightness
For more information, refer to the MeeGo Wiki for Hummingbird or visit the original forum thread at XDA-Developers and contact the developer.
Download MeeGo kickstart
Download MeeGo boot image