The entire Android world seems to be talking about two devices these days – Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One. Sammy’s latest offering comes with a lot of nifty features added to the software that make it smarter than your average smartphone. If you already have a Galaxy S III and are not sure whether you wanna shell out extra dough just to get those features or stick with what you’ve got, we have some amazing news for you! You can now get the latest S4 camera features and more on your S III without having to shell out a penny, thanks to SamMobile who have shared the latest official Android 4.2.2 XXUFME3 firmware with us that just got leaked hours ago. Read on for details & installation instructions.
Here are the most significant new features and improvements you can expect from this build:
- Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean with all its official core features like lock screen widgets, daydream, notification actions etc.
- New S4 Lockscreen with different unlock effects and some other tweaks
- New Adapt Display and Professional Photo screen modes from S4
- S4-style Tabbed Settings interface
- S4’s new S-Voice and voice controls for several phone features
- S4 and Note II-style full-screen Samsung apps
- New Smart Switch widget
- Driving mode
and possibly more.
Before you proceed with the installation, do note that this is a leaked internal testing build, and not the final release. Therefore, it might contain some quirks that have yet to be ironed out. That said, if you just can’t wait till the final release is out (we can’t), here’s how to get it up and running on your Galaxy S III.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- Take a backup of any data that you might need in case you later need to do a factory reset. This includes any data you might have on your internal SD card.
- Download the ROM’s package and extract the contents of the downloaded zip file to your computer.
- Download and install Samsung’s USB drivers, if they aren’t already installed.
- Power your phone off and boot it into download mode by holding Home and Volume-down buttons while powering it back on.
- Launch Odin on your computer and connect your phone to it via USB. You should get a blue indicator sign on Odin.
- Click ‘PDA’ in Odin and select the I9300XXUFME3_I9300OJKFME1_HOME.tar.md5 file.
- Leave everything as it is, and especially make sure that Re-Partition is unchecked.
- Click ‘Start’ to begin flashing, and wait for the process to finish.
You should now have the latest leaked Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware up and running on your S III.
In case there are any issues like bootloops or force-closes when you reboot your phone after flashing the firmware, reboot your phone into recovery by powering it off and then powering it back on while keeping the Home and Volume-up keys pressed, perform a wipe data/factory reset, and reboot the phone. This WILL delete all your apps, data and internal SD card contents, but your phone should boot and work fine after that. For this reason, taking a backup before flashing anything like this is extremely important.
[Firmware & Screenshots via SamMobile]