The Samsung Galaxy S I9000 is in dire need of good ROMs, anyone can vouch for that, but there is still hope with MIUI out there. Earlier we had covered Froyo and Gingerbread based MIUI ROMs for the Galaxy S, but those have been rendered obsolete with the release of the MIUI 1.5.6 ROM. The release is one of the most stable we’ve come across so far and having run it on our Galaxy S, we found the experience quite pleasing. If you don’t know what MIUI is and are wondering what we’re going on about, you should see our guide on what is MIUI ROM for Android. For a preview of the features this ROM brings and how to install it on your Galaxy S, read on!
We’ve listed a few of the features this ROM packs, but you can always check out the changelog at
MIUI Android Developers (no longer available at new MIUI Android website.
- The ROM base has been upgraded to Android 2.3.4.
- Added I9000 Kernel update.
- Added one press dial functionality, quickly call up number with one press.
- Added reminder notification of new messages.
- Added Birthday reminder functionality, reminds of birthdays 3 days earlier.
- Removal of duplicate contacts when your SIM and Google contacts overlap.
- Added swipe to delete or select all songs for editing or removal.
So let’s get this ROM up and running on your Galaxy S!
Disclaimer: Flash a custom ROM to your phone at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- To begin, copy all the files except speedmod-kernel-k13c-500hz.tar and cm7-galaxys-initial-kernel.tar, to the root of your phones SD card.
- Now we need to flash the speedmod-kernel-k13c-500hz.tar to the phone via ODIN. Enter download mode. (Press the volume – +, power button and home button together.)
- Once you have entered download mode, run ODIN on the PC.
- In ODIN, click on the PDA box and select, speedmod-kernel-k13c-500hz.tar.
- Now hit the Flash button and wait for the file to be flashed.
- After that, reboot into recovery mode and flash the galaxy-efsbackup.zip file.
- Now pull out the battery and then go into download mode again and flash cm7-galaxys-initial-kernel.tar via ODIN using the same procedure as described above in Step 4 and 5. Make sure that the auto reboot and re-partition options are unchecked.
- After the file is flashed, reboot into recovery mode and make a NANDroid backup. Wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and Dalvick cache.
- Now navigate to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select the MIUI ROM you copied to your SD card. You will be prompted with whether to install it or not, choose YES and wait patiently as the ROM is installed.
- When the installation is complete, reboot your phone. Optionally you can flash the English Language pack by going back into recovery.
You can also also check out our post on 10 awesome MIUI themes for Android. For updates and queries visit the
forum thread at MIUI Android website (not available on new MIUI Android website).