CyanogenMod 7 has reached the Samsung Mesmerize! Although we wish this was an official release, this CyanogenMod 7 for the Mesmerize is a port and is far from perfect right now. That goes without saying that the efforts of XDA-Developers forum member jt1134 who has brought us this release, will encourage more development towards making an official CyanogenMod ROM happen. As for the ROM at hand right now, it is not all that bad and quite a few features seem to be working.
Based on Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread, this test build of CM7 has the following features functioning right now:
- 3G Data.
- Camera / Camcorder.
- USB Mass Storage / SD card.
MMS is broken for now and there may be times that you experience that the radio has completely died. In such a scenario, reboot the device. Google Apps do not come pre installed, you will have to flash them separately.
Here’s what the developer says,
When flashed the first time, your filesystems will be converted to MTD (yaffs2/ext4). Do not try to flash any other ROMs via cwm at that point, and do not try to get into recovery via the 3 button method. Use adb reboot recovery or the reboot recovery option from the power menu. To revert, and switch to another ROM, flash a full Odin/Heimdall package.
So if you’re brave enough to try out a ROM labeled as a Test build, here’s what you have to do.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- To begin, download the ROM and Google Apps from the link above to the root of your SD card.
- That done, reboot the device into recovery mode and make a Nandroid backup.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and then wipe dalvick cache.
- Navigate to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select the ROM copied to the SD card.
- Let then ROM flash, and once it completes, flash the Google Apps package using the same method as in Step 4.
- Now simply reboot your device and cross your fingers!
That’s it, your device should now boot into the CM7 ROM and hopefully if a few bugs arise, you will be able to tackle them. For updates and queries related to this ROM, head over to the forum thread at XDA-Developers.