We have been witnessing unofficial CyanogenMod 7 Android 2.3 Gingerbread ports on HTC Sensation for quite sometime now. However, the official Alpha version of CM7 has been released yesterday that can be installed on your phone as a daily drivers. Since CyanogenMod nightlies were temporarily halted due to security situation with kernel.org, so this Alpha CM7 for HTC Sensation is your best shot for now. For those who don’t know, CyanogenMod is a custom Android firmware based on AOSP code that is directed towards delivering enhanced and highly optimized user experience. Recently we did a comprehensive post on the features of CyanogenMod 7.
The current CM7.1.0 release is based on Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread and carries latest SuperUser app with scores of stock and developer integrated features. You can view the complete change log at the official CM git.
Here is the step by step guide to flash CyanogenMod 7 Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread ROM on your HTC Sensation:
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- The first step is to make sure that you have S-OFF on your HTC Sensation with permanent root. Please consult the link in requirements section to gather more information regarding S-OFF.
- Once you have root and S-OFF on your phone, download ROM Manager from Market.
- Tap to launch ROM Manager and tap on first option to install/flash latest ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Now, download CyanogenMod 7 Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread ROM for HTC Sensation and copy the zip file on your desktop.
- Connect your phone to the computer and mount SD Card/SD Ext as flash drive.
- Copy the ROM zip file you downloaded to SD Card/SD Ext root.
- Launch ROM Manager again, and use in-app option to reboot your phone in ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Make a Nandroid backup by navigating to Backup/Restore option.
- After you have made a backup of your current settings, go to recovery main menu and use Wipe/Factory Reset to completely wipe your phone.
- Go to the main menu again and use the install zip from sdcard option to install CyanogenMod 7 ROM on your phone.
- Once the installation is complete, reboot your device.
And there you go! If you don’t end up in a boot loop then you will boot in CyanogenMod for sure. In case you are facing any issues or want to gather more information regarding this ROM, then head to the official XDA thread.