The HTC Evo 4G with its excellent hardware capabilities is amongst today’s top most smartphones specially if you look at the 1GHz Scorpion processor, its 512MB RAM and the utterly mind blowing 1GB ROM! When it comes to the software, HTC Evo 4G was released in the summer of 2010 when Android’s latest stable distribution was Éclair. However, Android has come a long way since then. If you’re looking to install a latest Gingerbread ROM on your HTC Evo 4G, carry on reading.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
This ROM based on the CyanogenMod 7 release of Gingerbread has been released by the XDA Developer user biofall, heavily customized in terms of visuals, themed applications, and performance increments such as screen animations. Here is a fan-made video of the ROM in action on the EVO 4G.
Now that you have watched the ROM in action, here are the instructions on how to get it up and running on your phone.
UPDATE: The ROM has now 4G support with some additional features, and is now called CM7-GX4. The download links have been updated.
- Copy all of the above downloaded files to the root (i.e. not in any sub-folder) of your SD card.
- Reboot your phone into recovery.
- Perform a nandroid backup.
- Flash FORMAT_ALL.zip from recovery.
- Wipe data, cache and Dalvik cache.
- Flash the ROM, reboot your phone into Android and then reboot back into recovery.
- Flash the battery mod, reboot your phone into Android and then reboot back into recovery.
- Wipe cache and dalvik cache.
- Flash the kernel, reboot into Android and then reboot into recovery yet again.
- Finally, flash Google apps and reboot your phone.
If you are not familiar with any of the above steps such as taking a nandroid backup, wiping data, cache and Dalvik cache or flashing a ROM or app, refer to our extensive Android flashing guide that explains all these in detail. For any bugs, queries or suggestions, please visit the original thread at XDA Developers.