Xoom – Motorola’s flagship tablet running Google’s Android 3.0 Honeycomb operating system – has been rooted! Just a day back, we covered how to unlock the bootloader for Motorola Xoom and now we bring you the eagerly awaited rooting of this powerhouse of a tablet, thanks to Koush who brought us the invaluable ClockworkMod Recovery and ROM Manager. Let’s rub our hands together in excitement and get on with rooting this device!
Update: This root guide is now depreciated and unadvised. You should check out the far more easier one click root tool available for rooting the Motorola Xoom on Android 3.0 Honeycomb.
If you’re not familiar with what rooting is, see our top 10 reasons to root your Android device.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
All the contents of your phone will get wiped in the process so make sure to backup first.
- Connect your Xoom to Wi-Fi or data network but do NOT setup any Google account yet.
- Enable USB Debugging from Settings > Applications > Development.
- Open up a Command Prompt window and navigate to the folder where you extracted the root files.
- Enter the following command. It will reboot your phone into its bootloader.
adb reboot bootloader
- Flash the new boot image (included in the rooting files) using this command:
fastboot flash boot rootboot.img
- Now reboot your device using:
- Once the device has rebooted, enter the following commands:
adb remount adb push su /system/bin adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su adb push Superuser.apk /system/app
- Verify root:
Now you should see a # prompt signifying that you now have root access.
Congratulations! You now have a rooted Motorola Xoom and are ready to unleash the device’s true potential. You can install all those apps that require root access straight away but if you want to flash custom ROMs, you’ll have to wait. While Koush has made a working ClockworkMod Recovery for the device, he will be releasing it once the nonfunctional SD card slot issue of the device is fixed as the recovery will not be of any practical use without it.