A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A DELI CLERK
As a Deli Clerk, no one day is ever the same at Safeway. You are someone who can display exceptional customer service skills, be knowledgeable of our deli meats, cheeses, salads, sandwiches, dips, gourmet and hot case items and prepare delicious foods that will keep our customers returning to the store. We invite you to join our team and create a lasting impression and positive experience for the customers we serve.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS**
• Provide high-quality customer service, including complying with Safeway’s customer service standards, policies and procedures.
• Greet customers and take orders, in person and over telephone, in a friendly manner.
• Create a positive and welcoming experience for customers.
• Prepare hot and cold deli food and display in deli cases for sale to customer.
• Inform customers about our deli products and services, provide food samples, and promote sales within department.
• Operate slicers and other food preparation equipment.
• Prepare deli fruit or seasonal trays for display or special order.
• Use scales and volume measures to apportion product correctly.
• Operate electronic cash register, receive final payment from customer (cash or credit/debit card) and accurately make proper change.
• Inventory stock, restock, move bulk product from pallets to storage areas, and face shelves of deli cases on sales floor.
• Maintain area and conduct business in accordance with all federal, state and local weights and measures, food safety and sanitation regulations and company policies, procedures and guidelines
• Perform temperature and tare checks daily.
• Adhere to uniform and grooming policy as defined within company policy.
The following describes the general qualifications and physical, sensory and mental abilities normally associated with performing the essential functions of this position: **
• Ability to be subject to environmental exposure to extreme temperatures (freezer, steam tables, etc.)
• Ability to use basic math skills
• Excellent customer service skills
• Ability to understand and follow instructions, and ability to read, retain and comprehend guidelines, policies and procedures applicable to the position
• Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to work independently as well as within a large team
• Self-motivated and driven to increase knowledge of Safeway products and share that knowledge with Safeway customers
• Ability to provide regular and predictable attendance. (Safeway employees may be scheduled to work early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays, and schedules may vary on a weekly basis)
• Ability to comply with workplace conduct standards
The following attempts to communicate the traditional physical demands associated with this position: **
Seldom: 1-2 hours, Occasional: 3-4 hours, Frequent: 5-6 hours, Continuous: 7+ hours (Based on an 8 hour work day.)
• Lift/Carry: Continuous, 1-35 lbs.*weight may increase
• Push/Pull: Continuous, 1-20 lbs.
• Stand/Walk: Continuous
• Grip/Grasp: Continuous
• Reach: Continuous
• Twist/Turn: Occasional
• Squat/Kneel: Seldom
• Bend/Stoop: Seldom
Job duties and responsibilities may vary by location and employees may be assigned duties and responsibilities in addition to those listed above.
** Safeway is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to compliance with its obligations under all applicable state and federal laws prohibiting employment discrimination. In keeping with this commitment, Safeway attempts to reasonably accommodate applicants and employees in accordance with the requirements of the disability discrimination laws. It also invites individuals with disabilities to participate in a good faith, interactive process to identify reasonable accommodations that can be made without imposing an undue hardship.
SAFEWAY AND WHY YOU WANT TO JOIN US
Safeway has always been a people-oriented business, and thoughtful people practices remain a core element of our company’s philosophy. As friendly, enthusiastic individuals who enjoy offering customers an exceptional shopping experience, we provide world-class customer service each and every day.
Safeway provides a variety of benefits including:
• Great pay
• Flexible schedule
• Opportunities for career development
• Health and welfare benefits for eligible employees
• Leisure time activity discounts
SAFEWAY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER