A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A BAKER
As a Baker, no one day is ever the same at Safeway. To truly be successful in the position, we are looking for a Baker who is passionate about baking breads, cookies and pastries, as well as producing fancy desserts and decorating cakes. Our Bakers also must have the secret ingredient for talking to their customers and taking pride in what they are baking. Our customers are hungry for what we are serving so come join our team and help satisfy their appetites.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS**
• Provide high-quality customer service in accordance with Safeway’s customer service standards and policies and procedures.
• Greet and attend to customer requests and promote sales within department and store.
• Provide courteous, friendly and efficient Customer Service.
• Communicate daily production needs and information with other Bakery team members.
• Organize and maintain cleanliness of work area.
• Prepare and bake breads, pastries, cakes, pies and other baked goods according to standard scratch recipes or by using premixed, par-baked and/or “bake off” products.
• Measure flour, sugar, shortening, and other ingredients to prepare batters, dough, and icings.
• Roll, mix, divide, cut, and shape dough consistently for prep/daily production.
• Place dough in pans, molds or on sheets for proofing and baking in ovens.
• Properly label and rotate daily received ingredients for walk-in freezers and storage areas.
• Order ingredients and supplies as needed.
• Comply with established Weight and Measures, health and sanitation, and safety policies, procedures and guidelines.
• Operate, clean and sanitize all equipment in a safe and proper manner.
• Place items in display cases.
• Rotate products and merchandise to maintain freshness and product appeal.
• Ensure display cases are well stocked.
• Adhere to uniform and grooming policy as defined within company policy.
The following describes the general qualifications and physical, sensory and mental abilities normally associated with performing the essential job functions of this position: **
• Ability to use basic math skills
• Ability to prioritize tasks and follow production schedule
• Ability to operate machinery, tools, and equipment properly and safely
• Ability to bend, lift and grasp pans, bowls, mixers, molds, etc. and their contents, as needed
• Ability to be subject to environmental exposure to extreme temperatures (ovens, coolers, freezer, outdoors, etc.)
• Ability to taste and evaluate products, as needed
• Knowledge of proper food handling procedures and government regulations regarding codes
• Ability to maintain high standards of safety and sanitation within department
• Excellent customer service skills
• Ability to understand and follow instructions, and ability to read, retain and comprehend guidelines, policies and procedures applicable to the position
• Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to work independently as well as within a large team
• Self-motivated and driven to increase knowledge of Safeway products and share that knowledge with Safeway customers
• Ability to provide regular and predictable attendance. (Safeway employees may be scheduled to work early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays, and schedules may vary on a weekly basis)
• Ability to comply with workplace conduct standards
The following attempts to communicate the traditional physical demands associated with this position: **
Seldom: 1-2 hours, Occasional: 3-4 hours, Frequent: 5-6 hours, Continuous: 7+ hours (Based on an 8 hour work day.)
• Reach: Continuous
• Stand/Walk: Continuous
• Twist/Turn: Frequent
• Grip/Grasp: Frequent
• Lift/Carry: Occasional lift/carry 1-50 lbs.
• Push/Pull: Occasional, push/pull 50-120 lbs. rolling racks w/product, donut fryer
• Bend/Stoop: Occasional
• Squat/Kneel: Seldom
Job duties and responsibilities may vary by location and employees may be assigned duties and responsibilities in addition to those listed above.
** Safeway is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to compliance with its obligations under all applicable state and federal laws prohibiting employment discrimination. In keeping with this commitment, Safeway attempts to reasonably accommodate applicants and employees in accordance with the requirements of the disability discrimination laws. It also invites individuals with disabilities to participate in a good faith, interactive process to identify reasonable accommodations that can be made without imposing an undue hardship.
SAFEWAY AND WHY YOU WANT TO JOIN US
Safeway has always been a people-oriented business, and thoughtful people practices remain a core element of our company’s philosophy. As friendly, enthusiastic individuals who enjoy offering customers an exceptional shopping experience, we provide world-class customer service each and every day.
Safeway provides a variety of benefits including:
• Great pay
• Flexible schedule
• Opportunities for career development
• Health and welfare benefits for eligible employees
• Leisure time activity discounts
SAFEWAY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER