Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Data Strategy, Intelligence, and Partnerships team is a data sciences unit within the Center for Observational and Real-world Evidence (CORE). The team embraces the values of innovation, integrity, execution and entrepreneurial spirit. We have three central functions: 1) to build external real-world data (RWD) and technology focused partnerships (2) to be a business development arm that conducts due diligence and liaises with a variety of healthcare stakeholders to obtain access to healthcare data, analytics and research capabilities (3) to build internal data science capabilities and expertise that realizes the full value of our real world data and technology assets. Our strategic alliances focus on big data partnerships that can help answer many of Merck’s needs for enabling scientific research, product development and drug launch.
The Intern filling this position will be working in a multi-faceted, cross-functional environment both externally with vendors and clients, and internally with Merck leaders. Ideal candidates should be capable of conducting due diligence and identifying opportunities in technology & healthcare data, managing a portfolio of relationships/partnerships, communication, project management and consensus building. The data science intern will research, design, implement and validate cutting-edge algorithms to analyze and visualize diverse sources of data to achieve targeted outcomes, and participate in all phases of projects, including ideation, data discovery and preparation, data analytics and/or data mining, and finally assessing options and making recommendations.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Advance a data science strategy, culture and capabilities within CORE and the broader enterprise by working across technical and strategic groups in both the commercial and R&D organization
- Identify, evaluate and partner with novel health data and technology opportunities to generate differentiated research and real world evidence in a variety of disease areas
- Work cross-functionally across the enterprise to understand and support the use of real world data assets (ie EMR, claims, phenotypic data, etc) and to enhance research evidence generation (ie interactive visualizations)
- Develop communications for internal and external engagements
At the conclusion of the term, the Intern will share results and recommended actions as a final project presentation.
This is a paid internship targeted to start in May/June 2017 for 10-12 weeks.
Applicants should have an interest in supporting human health and drug discovery, and have the ability to compare and contrast results from various methodologies, and recommend the best techniques. If you are the kind of individual who thrives on challenge and possesses the technical, leadership and business skills that are of value to our business, we invite you to apply.
A letter of reference from a professor is highly recommended; you may attach it in the same section of the profile as your resume
- Required: Currently pursuing a MS or Ph.D. in Statistics, Data Science, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Business, Economics, Informatics, Policy, or related quantitative field.
- Strong candidates in undergraduate programs will also be considered.
- Have completed at least two semesters of graduate study or four semesters of undergraduate study by May 31, 2017.
- Be returning to school in Fall, 2017.
- Minimum of (1) year of healthcare domain knowledge in life sciences, health data, health IT and/or the payer marketplace
- Experience in applying real-world healthcare data in a health-related industry, academic or research setting.
- Have an understanding of data mining algorithms and experience applying advanced techniques to large data sets
- Persistent and driven: Demonstrated characteristics of a forward thinker and self-motivator that thrives on new challenges and adapts to learning new knowledge
- Entrepreneurial and intellectual curiosity in the application and communication of health data
- Knowledge in advanced analytics and machine learning techniques. This includes expertise in analytics platforms such as Matlab, R, Python; research experience in analyzing big datasets
- Experience working with longitudinal real world data assets (e.g., claims, electronic medical records, genomic data, consumer data, social media data, wearables)
- Understanding of business processes in one or more of discovery, research, clinical, commercial, regulatory or safety domains
- An understanding of the payment reform or payer-provider structures is a plus
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Primary Location: NA-US-MA-Boston
Job Type: Intern
Employee Status: Temporary
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Relocation Provided: None
Company Trade Name: Merck